Trying to get Wipfli an Early Season Turk


I've never met such ungodly conditions while turkey hunting in my life, and of course these circumstances came when I was trying to guide Wipfli to his first turkey kill.  We hunted hard for three days, and actually had above average action.  Almost every little mini-hunt we executed produced some action, and on two occasions we had a tom move in to within just out of shooting range.  The fact remains that these birds are super henned up right now and it is virtually impossible to call them off their hens to within shooting range.  On one of these encounters, a tom appeared to be coming in perfect to my decoy spread, but just as this occurred, the weather switched from a snowy/drizzle and 15 mph wind to a complete blizzard/white-out situation with sideways blowing snow aided by 35 mph winds.  One of my decoys actually was taken up by the gust and blew away.  The tom eventually lost interest and decided instead to take safety from the weather.

I'm 95% sure I caught a brief stint of frostbite.  When I thawed my left foot out in the shower, a good portion of it was black. 

Moving around in the woods was TOUGH, breaking through the snow up to above my knee every third step, which of course resulted in a good lather of sweat build-up. And after sitting for a time, the lather froze to what felt like ice on my body.  We then came up with the brilliant idea of using snow-shoes, turning out to be extremely helpful. (Never thought I'd see the day when I'd actually need snowshoes to hunt turkeys). 

Our best opportunity came on Saturday when the skies cleared and the birds became more vocal.  I worked this particular bird for a good hour when finally he made a move towards us.  But, of course, he stopped just behind the bushy field-edge about 40 yards from us, never made another sound and disappeared forever.  I know he had a couple hens with him, and I guess he didn't find my beautiful hen decoys sexy enough. 

What are you gonna do?  Good thing my tag isn't until mid-May....should be prime hunting by then.