Did somebody say 'crappie'?

How foolish of us to think we could fool the ellusive crappie.  Tryin some new stuff lately on this subsequent tough bite,  with some good, some bad, and some ugly things happening.  The good - found that the lake pictured above has a nice crappie population on the first effort to explore the lake.  The bad - getting completely shut down on an awesome and reliable lake.  The ugly - had to check out the newest and top secrete big perch spot on a very large lake.  I didn't bother hopping on the wheeler and heading over there until 4pm, which gives me a solid 1.5 hour window after I get there, known as prime time to many, which should be plenty.  I found the spot in which these big perch reside a few weeks ago, so I knew where to go.  Its a rough stretch across the lake when combinding deep snow and a fairly long distance, oh and plenty of slush under the snow resulting from the latest heat wave.  I start drilling holes and cannot find this particular structure, and I can't figure out why, I was just here!  I keep looking at the shoreline, and my two markers, a couple sets of stone steps, where telling me I was in the exact location.  I could not figure out the problem and the sun is setting fast.  I probably covered a 100 square yards.  And I am sweating my ass off, walking through the slush with my vexilar and 1991 Jiffy that weighs 60 pounds.  The sun has completely set now and I can see the issue, I was drilling one entire point/bay combination located 400 hundred yards north of the spot I needed to be, which looked identical, it even had identical sets of stone steps.  I was less than thrilled and left in a hurry before I could do anymore stupid things.